11 OF THE COOLEST TRANSIT VANS IN THE UNITED STATES
- Ford Transit – America’s best-selling commercial van and the vehicle with the most configurations in its class – offers 58 vehicle configurations with the introduction of a dual sliding door option for 2016
- Owners can customize their Transit vehicles with the help of upfitters, including 12 located within 30 miles of Kansas City Assembly Plant, where Transit is built
- Ford built more than 100,000 Transit vehicles in North America for the 2015 model year, with Transit leading the company to post its best July commercial van sales in 15 years
DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 20, 2015 – Ford Transit, America’s best-selling commercial van, offers 58 vehicle configurations and even more customization potential through upfitters.
These 11 specialty vans – tricked out for specialized jobs ranging from transporting art to rescuing puppies and teaching kids to surf – capitalize on the flexibility of Transit, which features the most configurations in its class.
1. Windy City Limousine
Chicago-based Windy City Limousine’s Ford Transit was converted by Battisti Customs of Elkhart, Indiana, to carry 13 passengers in luxury and style – with a wood floor, black leather couch-style seating and two flat-screen televisions.
2. So-Gnar’s Creative Hub
This shred-ready Ford Transit is modified with a custom boot dryer, snowboard rack, tuning bench and portable DJ booth to make snowboarding even more fun for its riders. “It’s an absolute dream of a creative hub that we can do anything out of,” says So-Gnar CEO Pat Milbery. Check out the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgpuL1FKV8
3. Prof. ZL Feng’s Art Transporter
The first Ford Transit buyer in the United States, ZL Feng, is an art professor and skilled artist who uses his van to transport his art to museums, galleries, art shows and art buyers’ homes.
4. The Grateful Grail Coffee Shop
The Grateful Grail (@gratefulgrail) mobile coffee shop cruises around Baltimore, Maryland, including local music festivals and events. Brothers and Grateful Grail owners Brian and David Seward customized the van themselves, and talented local artists Brian O’Rourke and Jae Meca painted this electrifying Ford Transit.
5. Surfers Healing’s Woody Van
Champion surfer Izzy Paskowitz and his Surfers Healing team use a Ford Transit to transport surfboards and life jackets as they introduce kids with autism to surfing. Check out the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8WlKYTbNyw
6. Park Place Caterers’ Mobile Kitchen
This jumbo Ford Transit van – customized with a liftgate and inverter to power a refrigerator and hotbox – delivers deliciousness across the Metro Detroit area.
7. Shultz’s Guest House’s Dog Rescue Van
Shultz’s Guest House uses its Ford Transit to transport orphaned dogs – sometimes from several states away – to a private 200-acre farm in Dedham, Massachusetts, where they are safe from being euthanized until permanent homes are found for them.
8. The Spread Mobile Deli
This Ford Transit is a mobile deli – serving breakfast and lunch sandwiches on wraps and fresh-baked bagels in and around Northeast Ohio.
9. Wag’n Tails’ Pet Grooming Studio
Wag’n Tails Mobile Conversions in Granger, Indiana, converts Ford Transit vans into fully self-contained mobile pet grooming studios, complete with full-size tubs, hydro-massage shampoo systems, grooming tables, blow dryers, vacuums and fridges.
10. Forrest Baker’s Mobility Van
Eighty-six-year-old Forrest Baker explores the Pacific Northwest with the help of his specially modified Ford Transit, which includes a lift for his off-road wheelchair, high-visibility lights and bull guard. “Without a doubt, this is the finest purpose-built vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning,” Baker wrote to his dealership of more than 45 years, Wendle Ford in Spokane, Washington.
11. Red Cross Emergency Response
Five new Ford Transit vans are in use as Red Cross emergency response and life-saving blood transport vehicles in Detroit; Lexington, Kentucky; Louisville, Kentucky; Cleveland, Ohio; and Portland, Oregon.